We Are Hiring
Job Description – Lead Organiser
Head of Industrial Relations and Campaigns
The Lead Organiser's core responsibility is to contribute to the implementation and ongoing development of the Union's organising strategy and plan in conjunction with the Head of IR/C. She/He will manage the implementation of this plan and a day-to-day basis and assign tasks throughout our organising staff, seconded staff and activists to grow and strengthen the union. The LO will report on a weekly basis, and as required/requested, to the Head of IR/C.
- Manage the Organising Unit under the overall direction of the Head of Industrial Relations and Campaigns.
- Implement and develop the Organising Plan.
- Support and assist all roles and functions in the union engaged in organising activity.
- Encourage all union staff to be involved in organising.
- Develop recruitment techniques and tactics - based on best practice - for inclusion in FSU training.
- Deliver training in organising to all levels of the union as required.
- Arrange and/or deliver Monthly organising training for members.
- Achieve access to induction courses for new staff in employments and ensure that the presentations to be given at induction courses are kept up to date.
- Seek to achieve and maintain overarching 'access' agreements in all employments to facilitate workplace visits and on-site meetings of staff.
- Develop ‘digital access’ agreements with employers to provide for remote recruitment by activists.
- Develop digital skills and tactics for organising.
- Seek to achieve release for ‘member organisers’ to support infill growth.
- Work in conjunction with Officials/Officers in each employment to assess recruitment opportunities and develop campaigning actions to complement the collective bargaining agenda
- Engage with and provide guidance and advice to workers in non-unionised employments with a view to develop the potential for organising in that employment.
- Support our greenfield organising committees in Games, Tech and Animation to grow and ultimately unionise these sectors.
- Develop and implement our digital organising activity including surveys, petitions, Linked In presence, FB groups, non-member sign up mtgs in conjunction with relevant colleagues in FSU.
- Implement specific organising campaigns for the top targets identified in mapping exercises and, where necessary, arrange for an Officers and SC members to participate.
- Review the effectiveness of all actions and campaigns in the context of the Union's overall Organising Plan and make recommendations to the Head of IR/C and General Secretary for improvements.
- Develop organising leads through the advice centre.
- Support the Advice Centres outreach plans.
- Manage and improve the unions new members process.
- Assist in increasing the capabilities of all FSU staff and seconded officers in organising.
- Undertake such other tasks as may be required from time to time by the Head of IR/C and/or General Secretary.
Key skills and experience:
The successful candidate should be able to:
- Identify strategic targets and develop organising plans
- Implement and develop plans
- Manage competing priorities
- Be highly competent in all areas of organising, including:
- at least 3 years organising experience
- proficient in digital organising
- innovate and integrate new and traditional organising methodologies into work
- have proven successes
- analyse data/information and uses it to inform planning and
- translate strategic objectives into operational plans
- manage and value diversity in teams
- supervise, motivate and support staff and activists to achieve results
- manage performance
- assess and develop organisers and key activists skills
- embeds development opportunities in day to day work
- Clearly communicate both orally and in writing
Critical competencies for this role:
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
Additional competencies required:
| The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:|
- Relationship building
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
- Work ethic
If you are interested in applying for this role please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com